Any form of energy produced by the sun is referred to as solar energy. This energy is produced by the nuclear fusion that occurs inside the sun. It has the ability to generate heat, chemical processes, and electricity.
The proton-proton chain reaction, or PP chain reaction, refers to the nuclear fusion that occurs inside the sun when protons of hydrogen atoms forcefully collide with the sun’s core and fuse to generate a helium atom. As a byproduct of this reaction, large amounts of energy are released.
In the sun’s core, 620 million metric tons of hydrogen are fused every second, claims National Geographic. It is obvious that a significant amount of heat is created. This solar energy is constantly circulating across the solar system and away from the sun.
The sun’s radiations are used to power chemical reactions that in turn aid in producing energy. Solar energy can be used without a complicated setup.
Advantages of Solar Energy
Renewable Source of Energy
The most frequently mentioned benefit of solar energy is that it is a renewable resource among all of its other advantages. A resource is considered renewable if it can regrow after being used. Its use can therefore continue indefinitely.
We require sunshine for the solar energy production process, and we will always have sunlight available—at least for the next five billion years.
Solar energy does not deplete, in contrast to all other energy sources, including fossil fuels, coal, petroleum, and nuclear energy. For any purpose, we are free to utilize it as much as we choose.
Eventually, when our supply of resources runs out, having a renewable resource on hand is nothing short of a blessing. Because of this, solar energy is essential for sustainable growth.
Compared to other energy sources, the production of solar energy has the least detrimental effects on the environment. There are no hazardous gases produced by the solar panels utilized in manufacture.
- It doesn’t harm water supplies or release greenhouse gases. Even the amount of water needed for solar energy generation and maintenance is far less than that needed for other energy sources, such as nuclear energy, which needs around 20 times more water.
- The usage of solar energy does not result in noise pollution.
- The earth’s increasing warmth has turned into both a menace and a significant problem for humanity. Global warming is largely caused by CO2, and solar energy helps reduce carbon footprint.
- Using solar energy effectively will help lower the temperature and shield us from the negative effects of climate change.
Solar energy is used for more than just creating electricity. It can be used in a variety of ways in our daily life. From a calculator to a stove, from an agricultural technology to a space technology, solar energy is used in a wide range of gadgets.
- The various means by which solar energy is generated define its function. You can employ it, for instance, to produce power or to warm water.
- There are both direct and indirect uses for solar energy. We run appliances on solar energy and use the electricity generated by solar energy.
- Solar electricity, solar water heating, solar ventilation, solar lighting, portable solar, solar transportation, etc. are a few examples of solar energy uses.
- In addition to these applications, solar textiles, solar-powered roadways, floating solar farms, etc. are some other inventive ways that solar energy can be used in our daily life.
Efficient and Energy Security
- Depending on the location, direction, and weather, solar panels can convert 15 to 22% of solar energy into usable form.
- A further element that boosts solar energy’s high efficiency is the reduced loss of electricity during transportation and distribution.
- Because solar panels can be mounted on building roofs, less energy must travel a given distance. The loss of electricity will be reduced the shorter the distance.
- Solar energy production costs are much lower than those of other energy production methods when compared on a per-watt basis. The output is also far too high.
Pocket-Friendly and Low Maintenance
The strain of paying high electricity bills can be lessened by using solar energy to produce electricity. The cost of energy decreases when more of the energy requirements are met by solar power systems.
The minimal maintenance expenses of solar panels make them simple to afford. All that’s left to do is keep the solar panels clean after they’ve been installed. Additionally, the solar energy firms offer a 20–25 year warranty.
The size of the solar system and how much energy you use will also determine how much you will gain. Additionally, the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) program allows residents of Great Britain to receive reimbursements for the excess energy.
The best alternative energy source currently in use is solar energy. Being a renewable energy source, it is abundant and has a half-life of at least five billion years.
The benefits of using solar energy to meet our needs for energy are more than enough. Its growing use could end up being cost-effective. Climate change is the biggest danger facing the planet.
Utilizing solar energy can help reduce carbon footprints and ultimately stop global warming.
Worldwide efforts are being made to maximize the usage of solar energy. To reach a total installed capacity of 88.9 GW—enough to power 16.4 million US homes—the US alone installed 3.8 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in Q3 2020.
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) of India has set an ambitious goal to install 227 GW of renewable energy capacities by 2022, of which around 114 GW are planned for solar energy.