Uttarakhand – Kanatal
Uttrakhand is famous for its calming beauty in which one is Kanatal too. This small place is situated in Tehri Garhwal district which is best known for its amazing weather throughout the year. This place is very scenic setting surrounding by mountains and rivers, with breathtaking views and scenery. This is mainly because the town of Kanatal lies near Mussoorie, which is a popular tourist hotspot. Tourists mainly flock to Mussoorie, and the town of Kanatal is mostly left untouched which is why this is also known as the raw beauty of Uttarakhand. Kanatal serves mainly as a weekend getaway for the local populace. It is located at an altitude of 2600 kilometres from Mussoorie. There are many places that you can visit during your trip to Kanatal, one of them is very famous the Surkhanda temple which is the most popular religious destination here. Taking a walk at Kodia Jungle is amazing and soothing which is a dense forest area located at a distance of around one kilometre away from Kanatal. You can spot a few wild animals by taking a ride through the jungle in a jeep, and you can also see Tehri Dam and many natural springs that are quite prevalent in the region. Here is the list of some amazing place to visit in Kanatal –
1. Tehri Lake- Perched at an elevation of 1,700 meters, Tehri Lake is an artificial dam reservoir that came into existence during the construction of Tehri Dam when the water from the Bhagirathi River was diverted to fill the dam reservoir. Since its creation, Tehri Lake has become a popular boating destination among tourists and travellers who are looking for peace and quiet amidst nature. Being at close proximity to Delhi and NCR regions, it has also become an ideal weekend getaway destination.
2. Surkanda Devi Temple- Surkanda Devi temple is a famous shrine located near Kaddukhal, 24 km from the town of Chamba and 40kms from Mussoorie.
3. Dhanaulti- The tinsel town of Dhanaulti is emerging as a popular winter destination because of its tranquil vistas and its proximity to Delhi and various other cities of Uttarakhand. This magical hill station is perched at an elevation of 2286 meters above sea level and offers panoramic views of the lofty Himalayas. Dhanaulti is located in the proximity of the popular hill stations of Uttarakhand such as Mussoorie, Tehri, Kanatal, and Chamba. This hilly town is enveloped by the velvety rhododendrons, deodar, and tall oak forests.
4. New Tehri- New Tehri is a modern town developed at the hilltop, spread over an altitude from 1550-1950 Mts above sea level overlooking the gigantic lake and the Tehri dam. You can also see Himalaya Views from New Tehri early in the morning or on a clear day.
5. Tehri Dam – Reaching a staggering height of 260 meters, the imposing Tehri Dam is one of the tallest dams in the world and the tallest dam in India. An engineering marvel in itself, Tehri Dam not only provides more than 1,000 MW of hydroelectricity but also is a popular tourist attraction in Uttarakhand. The dam reservoir, also known as Tehri Lake, is usually flocked with tourists interested in boating and is slowly becoming a prominent hub for adventure tourism in Uttarakhand.